Stock Trading is Boring and It Should Be


Stock trading is boring and it should be—at least, for me. I realized that when I sold all my $MAC shares to buy $CDC, which broke out from its 52-week high, yesterday (June 29, 2017). Before I noticed $CDC, my newly-developed EBE system  had me patiently waiting for $MAC to hit my trailing stop loss price. I’ve been waiting ever since I bought it on June 16, 2017. 


My trailing stop-loss price is around 8-13% of the 52-week high. It felt like I was waiting for forever. I got bored. I felt like I needed something exciting to do, to cheer me up. 


I was observing the market and found $CDC breaking out from its 52-week high like a mad dog. As a momentum trader, I really love 52-week high breakouts. And for a person who finds excitement in breaking rules, I quickly sold all of my $MAC shares then bought $CDC (without analyzing its fundamentals) at 1.66/share, almost at the peak. 

A few minutes after that, $MAC went up to a high of 6.90/share. $CDC went down a couple of percentage from my average price, big enough to cause an agonizing pain. 


I then decided to take a look at $CDC's fundamentals, and found out that $MAC is way better in terms of earnings growth. It's like comparing apple with shit.


As I had mention on my previous article, intense emotions can lead to irrational decisions. The moment I saw $MAC fly, I quickly sold all my losing $CDC shares and bought back $MAC at 6.88/share. The same situation with $CDC happened, I positioned almost at the peak and then it dropped a couple of percentage from my average price. I planned on selling all of it again. A classic example of the deadly emotional cycle in the stock market.
 

At that moment, I realized that I was caught in that deadly loop. I purged myself from those emotions by meditating. I realized that my latest $MAC trade was still in line with my trading plan, so I hold on to it. As long as it doesn’t hit my stop loss price, I won’t sell—unless I find another stock that is superior in both technical and fundamental aspect. My current trailing stop-loss price for $MAC as of June 30, 2017, is 6.31/share.


Conclusion

When you get bored trading, tell yourself that you are on the right track, and don't let the boredom die. Do not let emotions run in the stock market.


Comments